Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Week 12: Page161 Q.4: From Hell or Not

I do not believe that the ghost of Hamlet is from hell because, he has not yet gone into hell, the ghost tells Hamlet that he is, "Doom'd for a certain term to walk the night, and for the day confin'd to fast in fire...".  The ghost of Hamlet must continue like that until, "...the foul crimes..." he committed while he was alive have been, "...purg'd away.".  Meaning that he is in purgatory, because Shakespeare was catholic he probably believed that purgatory was the place you went to before going to heaven or hell.  Therefore the dead king had not come to his final resting place, probably hell.  The ghost did use Hamlet as his puppet, the ghost might have seen that Hamlet was already angry with his uncle and mother, so all the ghost had to do was tell him that he was murdered by Hamlet's uncle and then Hamlet would take revenge for his father.

5 comments:

  1. yeah but there is one thing you are missing,
    Demons lie.
    But well written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... You've put some serios thought into this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reasoning! I must agree with Taylor though.

    NS

    ReplyDelete
  4. August,
    I really liked your reasons for thinking Daddy-H was not from hell, I never thought about it that way! You did a good job including the quotes and fitting them in. Why do you think he would ultimately end up in hell?

    Mrs. Sexton

    ReplyDelete